FAQ - Concerts

Can you provide me with the amounts SOCAN has for these concerts that require a set list?
We don’t break out that number specifically, but we can say that it’s in the millions of dollars. This is a very complicated process, and we rely on our members to help us help them.

When will these amounts be paid to me?
 In order for money to be paid from a concert/live performance, the following has to come together:

  • The venue/event or promoter needs to be licensed with SOCAN.
  • They need to correctly and thoroughly identify the show and artists who performed in it.
  • SOCAN needs to know what songs were performed via set lists.
  • SOCAN needs to know who wrote the songs, via works registrations.

Promoters, licensees, and members all have a role to play and if they don’t, we can’t do our job.

Once we identify where royalties should go, rights-holders can expect to see the funds in about three months – the time it takes to ensure accurate distribution in our normal cycle.

Are there any tax implications for me if the concert occurred a few years ago and I’m being paid now?
In Canada, you pay taxes only on income actually received in that time period. There are no implications under the tax rules of most countries.

What are UNI Concert performances?
SOCAN maintains a list of Unidentified Concert Performances in the members’ secure section of socan.ca. Simply log in, then go to SOCAN Performances & Repertoire, select Unidentified Performances, then select concerts with no set lists. We encourage you to search that list for any concerts where you believe your music was performed, and for that matter, any other unpaid concerts of which you may be aware. We need your help to get you paid.

Where should I submit my set list/concert notification?
There are a number of ways to do that, and SOCAN is here to help. Login into the secure section of socan.ca and check the Unidentified Concerts List. If you find a concert you’ve played that’s been filed with SOCAN but doesn’t have a set list, follow the steps to provide your set list in order to get paid. If you have no shows on the Unidentified Concerts List, but have played a show within the past year that you want to get paid for, go to SOCAN Forms, then select Notification of Live Music Performance, and complete the form in order to get paid.

How can I see if I appear on the UNI Concert performance list?
It’s easy – simply go to the list and search for any concerts where you believe your music was played. We can then work with you to complete the necessary, easy-to-use forms.

I don’t see the UNI concert online, what should I do?
Call our Membership Info Centre at 1-866-307-6226 and we’ll be pleased to help you.

What do I need to provide, along with my set list?
It’s very simple. If your song is on the unidentified performances list, all you need to provide is your set list from the show, and whether you were the headlining or supporting act. We can then work to ensure that the right music creators are paid for these live performances of their work. If your performance is not on the list, you can submit a Notice of Live Music Performance (NLMP) form on our website, and you’ll need to provide:

  • the date of the show,
  • the name and address of the venue,
  • the name and address of the company presenting the show (often the same as the venue), and
  • proof of the performance (usually a flyer, poster, contract, or ticket).

What does SOCAN do with the money they cannot pay for concerts?
We’re like a financial institution or insurance company, where any funds that go unclaimed or unidentified are held and invested. Any proceeds from those investments are used to reduce SOCAN’s operating costs, and those savings are passed along to our members. Many organizations that handle earnings have similar challenges with funds that go unclaimed.

How long do I have to submit a concert?
The sooner we can identify what was performed, the sooner we can get the royalties to the right people. But we will not distribute or release any funds until we know where they should rightfully go. You have one year to report a new show you performed if it's not on the Unidentified Concerts List.

Which concerts do I get paid for?
Once we know the titles of the music that was performed at the concert, the rights holders will receive their deserved share of royalties for any performance of their music at any licensed event. The Unidentified Concerts List covers performances up to three years old.