Canada's five biggest Thanksgiving songs
As Thanksgiving fast approaches and family and friends prepare to gather to celebrate the occasion, the SOCAN serves up five tasty Thanksgiving-related songs written by Canadian songwriters that are a good side dish to any meal.
After searching SOCAN's database of registered compositions by the nonprofit organization's more than 110,000 members, these five songs have achieved at least 100,000 domestic radio plays, demonstrating that Canada has a bountiful crop of world-class songwriters. Each song was chosen based on the number of plays it received and its relevance to Thanksgiving by its title or lyrics.
- “Constant Craving” – written by k.d. lang / Ben Mink; performed by k.d. lang.
- “The Farmer's Song” – written and performed by Murray McLauchlan.
- “Home” – written by Michael Bublé / Alan Chang (BMI) / Amy Foster (BMI); performed by Michael Bublé.
- “The Homecoming” – written and performed by Hagood Hardy.
- “Share the Land” – written by Burton Cummings; performed by The Guess Who.
And, while the SOCAN list includes only songs, in recognition of his massive international success, Drake’s Thank Me Later also makes a great appetizer to any Thanksgiving meal.
"Thanksgiving is a time where we come together to give thanks for all we have and enjoy the company of family and friends over a hearty meal,” said Eric Baptiste, SOCAN CEO. “It’s also a time to be thankful for the thousands of talented Canadian songwriters who create the music we love to hear, all of which enhances our lives and makes special occasions like Thanksgiving even more special.”