Canada's Top V-Day Singles for Singles
As Valentine's Day approaches, and couples indulge in a frenzied search for just the right chocolates, flowers, and dinner reservations, SOCAN – the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada – also salutes those who celebrate the romantic freedom, independence and fun of being single with a dozen hit singles.
After searching SOCAN's database of registered compositions written by the non-profit organization's more than 110,000 members, SOCAN selected 12 songs whose titles revel in the single life, eight of which have achieved at least 100,000 domestic radio plays, demonstrating the depth and range of Canada's songwriting. With Heart, Hart, Loverboy and nine other musical companions, we sing the praises of being single on Valentine's Day.
Certified SOCAN Classics (100,000 radio plays)
- "Born to be Wild" – composed by Mars Bonfire; performed by Steppenwolf.
- "Constant Craving" – composed by k.d. lang and Ben Mink; performed by k.d. lang.
- "Hit Me with Your Best Shot" – composed by Eddie Schwartz; performed by Pat Benatar.
- "Never Surrender" – composed and performed by Corey Hart.
- "No Regrets" – composed and performed by Tom Cochrane.
- "Turn Me Loose" – composed by Mike Reno and Paul Dean; performed by Loverboy.
- "We're Here for a Good Time" – composed by Ra McGuire and Brian Smith; performed by Trooper.
- "What About Love?" – composed by Jim Vallance, Brian Allen and Sheron Alton; performed by Heart.
Destined to be SOCAN Classics...
- "Call Me Maybe" – composed by Carly Rae Jepsen, Tavish Crowe and Josh Ramsay; performed by Carly Rae Jepsen.
- "Find Your Love" – composed by Drake, Kanye West (BMI), Jeff Bhasker (BMI) and Ernest Wilson (ASCAP); performed by Drake.
- "Haven't Met You Yet" – composed by Michael Bublé, Alan Chang (BMI) and Amy Foster (BMI); performed by Michael Bublé.
- "I'm Like a Bird" – composed and performed by Nelly Furtado.
"Valentine's Day is for music lovers," says France Lafleur, Vice President – Membership & General Manager – Québec & Atlantic Division at SOCAN. "Canada's songwriters create the music we love to hear, which enhances our lives and makes special occasions like Valentine's Day even more special, and, as Shakespeare wrote, 'If music be the food of love, play on.' "