Five finalists chosen for prestigious SOCAN French ECHO Songwriting Prize
SOCAN has revealed the five nominated songs for the seventh annual French Prix ÉCHO de la chanson SOCAN, featuring an eclectic mix of the very best of Francophone songwriting.
The annual competition honours the most creative and artistic independent French songs written by Francophone songwriters and released over the past year. The winning songwriter(s), as voted by the public between Sept. 10 - Oct. 10, 2012, will receive $5,000, and one lucky voter will win the new iPad.
The nominees for the 2012 Prix ÉCHO de la chanson SOCAN are:
- "St-Eustache" written by Emmanuel Dubois; performed by Koriass
- "Si tu savais" written by Marie-Pierre Fournier, François Lafontaine, Gaele Tavernier; performed by Marie-Pierre Arthur
- "Intuition #1" written by, Mathieu Charbonneau, Stéphane Lafleur Nicolas Moussette, Joel Vaudreuil; performed by Avec pas d'casque
- "Lignes d'Hydro" written and performed by Lisa LeBlanc
- "Dans la prairie" written by Philippe Bergeron, Salomé Leclerc; performed by Salomé Leclerc
“The French SOCAN ECHO Songwriting Prize is the most prestigious award of its kind offered in this country,” said Eric Baptiste, CEO of SOCAN. “And this year’s ECHO showcase is a fantastic way to launch the French competition. Not only does the ECHO showcase give the public an inexpensive opportunity to see these five exceptionally talented acts, it’s a great way for the finalists to win new fans and inspire the public to vote and purchase new music.”
The live showcase, featuring performances by all five nominated artists, will be held Sept. 10, 2012, at Lion D’Or in Montreal. Tickets can be purchased by contacting SOCAN at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling SOCAN at 514-844-8377. Tickets are $20. Doors open at 7 p.m.
The five nominated songs were compiled by a panel of music enthusiasts, who were asked to select songs that they felt were the most artistic and creatively written independent compositions of the past year. All genres of music were considered. The 2012 French ECHO Songwriting Prize panelists are:
- Michel Cécyre (Bande à Part)
- Sébastien Charest (GAMIQ)
- Émilie Côté (La Presse)
- Marc-André Labonté (CISM)
- Stéphanie Lavigne-Charette (Les Francouvertes)
- Kristell LeNôtre (SMIM/SMIQ)
- Steve Marcoux (Coup de coeur francophone)
- Guillaume Moffet (VOIR Gatineau)
- Philippe Papineau (Le Devoir)
- Marc-André Sarault (Les FrancoFolies de Montréal/Festival International de Jazz de Montréal)
The public will determine the winning French song by voting online at www.prixecho.ca. Voting takes place from Sept. 10 - Oct. 10, 2012, with the winning song announced Oct. 19.
For all of the latest updates, follow SOCAN ECHO Songwriting Prize on Twitter @prixecho and @SOCANmusique.