At SOCAN, we are committed to respecting and protecting your right to privacy. As such, we have put in place privacy policies to ensure that our members’ and licensees’ information and affairs are kept in strict confidence.
Jan. 18, 2006: What it means to you as a member (PDF)
What is protected?
How we limit collection of personal information
Why SOCAN collects personal information
How we limit use and disclosure
SOCAN will protect the personal information of its members and licensees. Personal information means any information about an identifiable individual with the exception of the name, title or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.
SOCAN will adhere to the following ten principles for the protection of personal information:
- SOCAN will be accountable for collecting, using and disclosing your personal information.
- SOCAN will provide an explanation of the purposes underlying any collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.
- SOCAN will obtain your consent prior to the collection, use or disclosure of your information.
- SOCAN will only collect the information it needs to conduct its business.
- SOCAN will only use, disclose, or retain personal information needed for it to conduct business.
- SOCAN will take necessary steps to ensure that the personal information is accurate.
- SOCAN will implement safeguards for your personal information.
- SOCAN will facilitate individual access by members and licensees to their respective personal information.
41 Valleybrook Drive
Toronto, ON M3B 2S6
Toll-free: 1-800-55-SOCAN (that's 1-800-557-6226)
SOCAN will only collect personal information needed for it to properly conduct its business by fair and lawful means.
When you first become a SOCAN member or a licensee, we let you know that, besides your name, address and telephone number, we need your information in order to:
- Establish your identification
- Provide ongoing service of administering the performing rights of our members and licensing licensees
- Comply with legal requirements
- Protect you and us from error and fraud
For these reasons, we may collect the following personal information:
a) from our members:
- Social insurance number
- Home address and telephone number(s)
- E-mail address
- Works details
- Writer/publisher contracts
- Demand/bankruptcy documents
b) from our licensees:
- Telephone number
- Financial information
SOCAN will not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. In fact:
- We keep your personal information and the business you do with us in strict confidence;
- Your information is not sold or otherwise disclosed to anyone outside of SOCAN unless required by law or to properly conduct SOCAN business;
- You have control over how we obtain, use and give out information about you
- SOCAN will not register cookies outside of domains owned by SOCAN.
- SOCAN will not track cookies or share cookie information with sites not owned by SOCAN.
For more information, visit the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada